Thursday, September 04, 2008

Deutsche Welle QSLs

A few days ago I reported my 40th DW transmitter site verified. I’ve received some questions about the sites, so here is my list. All have been verified by DW cards.

Jülich
Wertachtal
Konigswusterhausen
Leipzig
Nauen
Kigali
Sines
Malta
Antigua
Montserrat
Trincomalee
Sierra Leone
Philippines (Radio Veritas)
Sackville
Brasilia
Shigulovsk
Irkutsk
Novosibirsk
Samara
Chita
Krasnodar
Vladivostok
Moscow
Petropavlovsk
Komsomolsk-on-Amur
Khabarovsk
Erevan
Lvov
Almaty
Meyerton
Talata
Bonaire
Kranji
Ascension
Rampisham
Skelton
Woofferton
Dhabayya
WHRA, Cypress Creek, SC
Moosbrun

And 2 early cards were simply marked “Germany”. These were probably Julich. Also I have a QSL for Deutschlandfunk via point-to-point DFF97 in Frankfurt on 6975. Based on club bulletins in the 1970s, as well as the Internet today, this was a DW transmitter. I was fortunate in getting a QSL for Sierra Leone as I don’t think DW used that site very long. My QSL is for a test broadcast logged on 5980 from 0612 to 0632 on January 28, 1975. The test was in English, included the transmitter site, and requested reception reports, giving DW address. There were also brief news items and music as well as ids in German and French. Did DW have any regular broadcasts from Sierra Leone? The 1975 WRTH lists only 10 kw for Sierra Leone; the ’76 edition shows 10/250 kw for 3316, 5980, & 9630 and states “Deutsche Welle irregularly testing via SLBS facilities”; while in ’78 (I can’t find my ’77 edition) it shows 10/250 on 5980 only and there is no mention of DW. I’m sure I’ve missed getting QSLs from some of the sites DW has used over the years. I’d be interested to learn of any additional sites anyone has verified—or that DW has used.

Wendel Craighead, Prairie Village, Kansas, USA
wendelcd@yahoo.com

(Via Cumbre DX)

No comments:

Post a Comment